Innerwick Castle, East Lothian, Scotland
The castle (along with a barony) is for sale.
The castle’s construction started in the 14th century on the precipitous edge of Thornton Glen. It was a stronghold of the Stewart and Hamilton clans and was extended several times, but was captured and destroyed by Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset in 1548. Both Innerwick and Thornton castles had been of strategic importance for guarding routes from the south.
Innerwick Castle stands within the Barony of Innerwick. The most recent Baron of Innerwick was Colonel Victor Charles Vereker Cowley of Crowhill (1918–2008). Currently, Thornton Glen is part of the Crowhill Estate and is managed by the Scottish Wildlife Trust. The glen is considered important for the presence of ferns that are rare in Scotland. The remains of the castle are on top of a crag which is popular with climbers.
Artist’s reconstruction of Innerwick Castle
'Die Bücher der Chronika der drei Schwestern / The Book of Chronicles of the Three Sisters' by Johann Karl August Musäus; illustrated by Heinrich Lefler and Joseph Urban. Published 1900 by Verlag von J.A. Stargardt, Berlin.
Description: A fairy tale about a spendthrift king who gives away his three daughters to an enchanted bear, an eagle and a whale fish respectively in return for a centner of gold each. Years later their younger brother sets out to rescue them.
Copper Alloy Diadem, Hallstatt Culture c. 750–500 BC, from the Carpathian Mountains region
The Hallstatt culture was the predominant Central European culture from the 8th to 6th centuries BC (European Early Iron Age), developing out of the Urnfield culture of the 12th century BC (Late Bronze Age) and followed in much of Central Europe by the La Tène culture.
Tintagel Castle, Cornwall, England
In Cornish, Tintagel (Dintagel) means “fort of the constriction. The site was probably occupied in the Romano-British period but no structure remains from this time. In the Early Medieval era, the site was the seat of the regional king of Dumnonia. The current castle was built by Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall in the 13th century after Cornwall was subdued by England in part to establish a connection with the Arthurian legends that were associated with the area and because it was seen as the traditional place for Cornish kings. In his 12th century manuscript Historia Regum Britanniae, Geoffrey of Monmouth described Tintagel as the site of Arthur’s conception.
The castle was built in a more old-fashioned style for the time to make it appear more ancient. Richard hoped that in this way he could gain the Cornish people’s trust since they didn’t trust outsiders. The castle itself held no real strategic value. After Richard, the following Earls of Cornwall were not interested in Tintagel and it was left to the county sheriff. Parts of the accommodation were used as a prison and the land was let as pasture. The castle became more dilapidated, and in the 1330s the roof of the Great Hall was removed. Thereafter, the castle fell to ruin.